Boddy Matthews Solicitors (we) believe that a commitment to diversity and inclusion is essential to reflect the society we serve today. It makes business sense because it helps us to attract and retain the best talent, it enables us to understand and meet clients’ needs more effectively and so provide a better quality service.
We are committed to promote and practice equal opportunities within our workplace.
We are obliged by the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority to publish our data on diversity, unless individuals can be identified. As we are a small firm, we provide a summary below.
Of the three solicitors and one paralegal, the age range is from 23-58. All are female and heterosexual. Two have children under 18. Three are British and one is from another white background. Two went to a non-selective state school, one went to a selective state school and one went to school out of the UK. One is Christian, one is Jewish, one has no religion or belief and one prefers not to say. None has a disability, none has a condition that affects them occasionally and none care for someone with a long term physical or mental ill health caused by disability or age. Three have parents who went to university, the parents of the other did not attend university. Two reported that their parents had modern professional and traditional professional occupations, one had parents in senior, middle or junior management/ administration and one had parents who were small business owners.
Pro Bono and Corporate Social Responsibility
Our lawyers undertake a range of pro bono activities and get involved in the local communities in which we work. Our CSR activities include:
- Vice Chair of Governors at a local junior school
- Charitable donations to local charities such as Loveworks, and bigger charities such as Macmillan Cancer Support with both local and national reach.
- It is our policy to donate all monies from oaths, declarations, witnessing and certifications to a charity chosen by the firm; currently East Surrey Macmillan Cancer Support Centre at East Surrey Hospital.
- Participating in a variety of fund raising events including the London Legal Walk for the London Legal Support Trust which promotes access to justice and supports frontline free legal advice charities.
- Chairing the South Region for Not-for-profit-group: Encouraging Women into Franchising (EWIF) and participating in EWIF events.
- Supporting initiatives with local businesses as members of the Reigate Business Guild (RBG)
- Sponsorship of local events such as the Redhill Redstone Rotary Club Reigate Tunnel Beer Festival; Old Reigatians Rugby Football Club Charity Quiz night for Parkinsons UK.
- Attending local schools’ career events.
- Attending RBG litter picking events to promote environmental initiatives.
- Hosting seminars for the British Franchise Association.
- Participating in local sports teams.
We are also constantly striving to help minimize our impact on the environment. We are very nearly a paperless office.